SHOW ME

Monday, August 14, 2006

The Future of Airline Reading?

Boing-Boing has an interesting original post on bypassing UK-to-US airline restrictions that prohibit passengers from bringing books and magazines on planes: Create "wearable" reading material using iron-on transfers. It is, of course, as much an act of protest at the absurdity of the current climate (from either side of the security debate) as it is a practical way to provide yourself with something to do under bizarrely boring conditions.

As for myself, I fly in two days from Houston to Seattle, and will have the finished first draft of a novel in my lap rather than my usual laptop. I will bring the digital file on a flash drive, knowing that only slightly less-convenient computers await me at my destination. I'm at the point where a paper edit is essential, and I found such pleasure in the idea of going laptop-free on a cramped flight that I plan to stick with it despite the daily loosening of carry-on restrictions for in-country flights.

No comments: